B.E.L.T. (Bacon, Egg, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich) with Homemade Aioli
for the aioli
- 1 The Farmer's Hen large room temperature egg yolk
- 1 medium garlic clove finely grated
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
for the B.E.L.T.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 The Farmer's Hen large egg
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp aioli, or to taste
- 2 slices sandwich bread of choice toasted
- 1-3 leaves butter lettuce
- 1-2 slices tomato
to make the aioli
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, garlic, and salt. Add 1 teaspoon of water, and mix it in. Begin adding the olive oil, one drop at a time, and whisking constantly, until you start seeing the mixture emulsify. Keep adding the oil in a very thin stream and continue whisking, until all the oil is incorporated, and the aioli is thick like mayonnaise. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container. This aioli can be made up to one day ahead of serving.
to make the B.E.L.T.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat, until crispy and browned in parts, 10-15 minutes. Flip halfway through. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat (or use the same skillet used for the bacon). Add the olive oil. Crack the egg into the pan and cook until the whites are set, but the yolk is still runny, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the aioli on both slices of bread. Top one of the slices with the lettuce, followed by the tomato, bacon, and egg. Close the sandwich and enjoy right away.
This might be the ultimate breakfast sandwich, complete with all the well-loved flavors of a B.L.T., plus a fried egg. Homemade aioli is so fun to make, and really takes this sandwich to the next level. You can also use store-bought mayonnaise or garlic mayo if you don’t want to make your own aioli, the sandwich will still be absolutely delicious.