Brown Rice and Mushroom Grain Bowls with Olive Oil-Fried Eggs
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp rice vinegar divided
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 medium shallot sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 5 oz shitake caps sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch chili flakes
- 2 The Farmer's Hen large eggs
- sliced scallions, microgreens, or other herbs for garnishing
- In a medium pot, combine the rice, 1 ½ cups water, ½ teaspoon rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook the rice for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the rice sit and steam for 10 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, shallot, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Add the cremini and shiitake mushrooms, along with another pinch of salt. Stir to coat the mushrooms in the oil and salt, then let brown, undisturbed, for 8-10 minutes, until all the water that they release evaporates. Add the garlic and stir. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms are completely browned. Add the soy sauce/tamari, maple syrup, remaining ½ teaspoon rice vinegar, and chili flakes to taste. Stir to coat, and keep cooking, until the mushrooms appear glazed, another 2-4 minutes.
- Use the same skillet that was used for the mushrooms or another non-stick skillet to cook the eggs. Heat the skillet over medium high heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully crack the eggs into the pan. Fry for about 3 minutes, tilting the pan to one side and spooning the pooled up olive oil over any uncooked whites (avoid the yolks), until the egg whites are firm, the edges are crispy, and the yolk is still runny.
- To assemble the grain bowls, distribute the rice among 2 bowls, top with the mushrooms, followed by the fried eggs, and a sprinkle of herbs.
These grain bowls make for a nourishing meal that can be enjoyed any time of day. Frying eggs in olive oil gives them beautiful, lacy and crispy edges, as well as a lush, savory flavor. They are delicious when served on top of earthy-flavored mushrooms and grains. You can use other grains like quinoa, farro, freekeh, etc. in place of the brown rice, just make sure to cook them according to their individual package instructions.