Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs with Quick-Pickled Onions
for the eggs
- 4-6 The Farmer's Hen large eggs
for the quick-pickled onions
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (optional)
to prepare the eggs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Use a slotted spoon to carefully place the eggs in the boiling water, one at a time. Adjust the heat to a steady boil and cook for 11 minutes. Put the eggs under cold water to stop the cooking. Once cool, crack the eggs at the wider end and peel. Slice in half and enjoy, topped with the quick-pickled onions.
to make the quick-pickled onions
- Combine the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a 16 oz jar or a jar of a similar size. Seal the jar and shake it to dissolve the salt and sugar. Add the onion slices, bay leaf, and rosemary, if using. Seal the jar and shake gently to mix. Let the onions marinate at room temperature for 1 hour. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
This method yields hard boiled eggs that are perfectly cooked throughout, with yolks that are not too pale or dry. They make for the most delicious appetizer or snack when topped with homemade quick-pickled onions, which are so easy to prepare.