Savory Steel Cut Oats with Soft Boiled Eggs
- 2 The Farmer's Hen large eggs
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- sea salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 avacado cubed
- 1 scallion sliced
- 2-3 radishes thinly sliced
- toasted sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Use a slotted spoon to carefully place the eggs in the boiling water, one at a time. Adjust the heat to a steady boil and cook for 7 minutes. Put the eggs under cold water to stop the cooking. Once cool, crack the eggs at the wider end and peel. Slice in half when ready to serve.
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the oats and toast for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant. Add 2 cups water and a pinch of salt, bring to a boil over high heat. Establish a steady simmer, cover the pot, and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring periodically, until the oats are soft and creamy. Mix in the soy sauce/tamari. Taste for salt and adjust if needed. Distribute the oats between bowls, top with the soft-boiled eggs, dollops of Greek yogurt, avocado, scallions, radishes, and sesame seeds/everything bagel seasoning. Serve right away.
Oats are just as delicious in savory applications as they are in sweet ones. Steel cut oats yield a porridge that’s incredibly creamy, but with a little bit of a bite, almost similar to risotto. They make for the coziest savory breakfast, especially when topped with jammy, soft boiled eggs, vegetables, herbs, and yogurt.