Cheesy Grits with Over Easy Eggs, Bacon, and Broccolini
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup white or yellow, non-instant grits or polenta
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 medium bunch broccolini tough ends trimmed
- 4 The Farmer's Hen large eggs
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and swirl it around until completely melted. Add the jalapeno and saute for 3 minutes, until soft. Add the milk, 2 cups of water, grits, and a generous pinch of salt, whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Establish a gentle simmer and cook, whisking often, for 25-30 minutes, until the grits are soft and creamy. If the grits become too dry at any point, add more water or milk to achieve a creamy consistency. Turn off the heat, add the cheese and black pepper to taste, mix to combine. Taste for salt and adjust if needed. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat, until crispy and browned in parts, 10-15 minutes. Flip halfway through. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Tear the bacon into large chunks or serve whole. Saute the broccolini in the pan with the bacon fat over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until bright green and charred in places.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter is melted, gently crack the eggs into the pan (you might need to do this in batches), and cook for about 2 minutes, until the whites are just set. Flip the eggs and cook for about 20 seconds. Flip back over and season with salt and pepper. Serve the eggs right away over the cheesy grits, with the bacon and broccolini.
Cheesy grits make for such a comforting, savory breakfast, especially when topped with perfectly cooked over easy eggs, bacon, and broccolini.