- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell peppers seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4-6 The Farmer's Hen large eggs
- freshly ground black pepper
- plain Greek yogurt for garnishing
- fresh herbs like mint, cilantro, parsley for garnishing
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, cumin, coriander, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 8-10 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft. Add the garlic and tomato paste, saute for another 2 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant and the tomato paste is incorporated. Add the tomatoes and another pinch of salt. Establish a gentle simmer and simmer the tomato mixture for 15-20 minutes, until it thickens and becomes concentrated. Taste for salt and adjust if needed.
- Make 4-6 divots in the tomato mixture and crack the eggs into the divots, one at a time. With the mixture at a gentle simmer, cover the pan and cook the eggs for 5 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Garnish the shakshuka with dollops of yogurt and fresh herbs. Enjoy right away.
Shakshuka is a Mediterranean dish of eggs cooked in a spiced tomato and pepper sauce. It makes for a quick and cozy meal, served with some crusty bread or soft flatbread.