Frittata with Leeks, Greens and Sausage
- 12 The Farmer's Hen large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sausages of choice (like breakfast or hot Italian sausage)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard stemmed and torn
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until they are streak free. Mix in the Parmesan, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook the sausage in a large, oven-safe skillet set over medium heat, until cooked through. Remove the sausage from the skillet, slice it on a diagonal, and set aside for now. Wipe the pan if needed. Add the oil, leeks, and a pinch of salt. Saute the leeks for 10 minutes, until soft. Add the chard greens and another pinch of salt, saute until just wilted. Add the sliced sausage back to the pan. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook without stirring for 5 minutes, until the edges of the frittata just begin to set. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the center is set. Slice the frittata and serve right away.
Similarly to quiche, a frittata can be filled with endless combinations of ingredients, but this recipe is especially delicious. The rich savoriness of the sausage is perfectly counteracted by the slightly bitter greens, and the ‘melted,’ sauteed leeks contribute a note of sweetness.