Poached Eggs with Lemony Roasted Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus (about 1 medium bunch) tough ends snapped off
- 1 tsp olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium lemon
- 4 The Farmer's Hen large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set a medium pot of water to boil.
- Put asparagus on the baking sheet, along with the oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix to coat. Roast for 9-15 minutes, until the asparagus is easily pierced with a fork. The exact amount of time will depend on the thickness of your asparagus; the thicker it is, the more time it will need.
- Arrange the asparagus on a serving platter or distribute among serving plates. Zest the lemon and sprinkle the zest over the asparagus, then slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from half of the lemon over the asparagus. Slice the remaining half of the lemon into wedges and serve alongside the asparagus.
- Meanwhile, establish a strong simmer in the pot with the boiling water by lowering the heat just a little. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Create a vortex in the pot by stirring the water in a circular motion with a slotted spoon. Carefully slide the egg from the bowl into the center of the vortex. Gently swirl the water to help the whites shape up around the yolk. Cook for about 2 ½ minutes, until the whites are set, but the yolk is still soft to the touch. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the egg to a plate, lined with a clean towel or paper towel. Repeat with the rest of the eggs, or, if you feel comfortable, cook all the eggs at the same time. Serve the eggs over the asparagus, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
Delicate poached eggs are so delicious served over beautiful green vegetables like asparagus. This lemony roasted asparagus is incredibly simple to prepare, yet so impressive in flavor.